Reports To: Project Manager or Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Date: October 2020
Pay Band: 5
Primary Areas of Focus
- Technical Expert
- Engineering Design
- Quality Assurance & Control
- Expert Witness
- Demonstrate in-depth, comprehensive knowledge of engineering principals in one or more technical areas.
- Competent in the office CAD system to perform tasks related to all aspects of design and modeling.
- Create training material, develop standards and processes, mentor others, provide training to the broader organization, and provide technical support to multiple project teams.
- Provide final plan set quality assurance and control. Review and approval may require stamping.
- Act as the primary engineer on projects requiring technical expertise and often self-performing core engineering duties to produce design drawings, prepare technical reports, and obtain necessary approvals.
- Support business development activities to procure high-level and complex projects.
- Hold additional credentials, publish articles, present to industry groups and be recognized internally and externally for technical expertise.
- Provide in-depth knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations.
- Able to serve as an expert witness.
- Participate in construction administration and observation.
- Understand and follow NE practices and processes to perform tasks on time and within budget.
- Achieve and 80-90% Billable Utilization Rate. Non-billable activities include company & team meetings, professional development, community involvement, innovation time, culture & engagement activities, business development, mentoring, learning, and training.
- Accomplish work without considerable direction. Exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation of criteria to obtain desired results. Exerts significant latitude in determining objectives. Takes calculated risk with consultation from Project Manager or Director.
- Accountable for situational success. Work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation. Determine and pursue alternative paths towards a solution. Exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation of criteria to obtain results consistent with policies and practices.
- This role is an individual contributor role.
- Decision-making has a significant effect on project resources and achieving project goals.
- This position has the responsibility to meet project revenue targets.
- Responsible for completing timecards accurately and on time.
- The responsibilities of this role allow for telework following Northern’s policy.
- This role is eligible for the company cell phone plan.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental, or related Engineering field.
- Colorado Professional Engineer license or ability to obtain within one year.
- Extraordinary experience may be considered in lieu of degree or licensure.
- Advanced degrees or accreditations preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in civil engineering.
- Competent in Civil 3D and Microsoft Office.
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
Who You Are:
- Not satisfied with the status quo and are always looking for ways to improve yourself, your team, and the company. Communicate improvements with your team and leaders.
- Takes responsibility for your own experience and actions and recognizes how your actions impact others.
- Creates and cultivates authentic internal and external relationships and recognizes the importance of maintaining those connections.
- Appreciates diversity and serve as a champion in creating an inclusive culture.
- Required to stand, walk, and sit.
- The position may require a visit to project sites often.
- The position requires a regular and normal range of hearing.
- The employee must be able to lift 40 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires prolonged sitting with 15% of the time spent bending and reaching.
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and calculator.
- Noise levels consistent with a standard office environment.