CIVIL ENGINEER II
Reports To: Project Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Date: October 2020
Pay Band: 3
Primary Areas of Focus
- Plan Set Management
- Engineering Design
- Competent with the office CAD system to initiate sheet creation, as-builts, details, and other graphic output.
- Understand engineering principals to provide basic design and drafting of civil engineering systems.
- Perform grading and drainage design under the direction of the Civil Engineer or Project Manager.
- Provide direction, coordination, and QA/QC to less experienced engineers.
- Perform field reconnaissance.
- Perform research for technical reports.
- Communicate with internal and external project teams.
- Provide project submittal administrative support.
- Understand and follow NE practices and processes to perform tasks on time and within budget.
- Achieve an 85-95% Billable Utilization Rate. Non-billable activities include company & team meetings, professional development, community involvement, innovation time, culture & engagement activities, mentoring, learning, and training.
- Accomplish work with moderate supervision. Follow established and detailed directions. Civil Engineer or Project Manager reviews for accuracy and overall adequacy.
- Accountable for situational success and resolves problems that are readily identifiable with a limited scope by following standard practices, procedures, and processes.
- This role is an individual contributor role.
- Decision-making has a significant effect on completing project tasks.
- This position has the responsibility to meet project task targets.
- Responsible for completing timecards accurately and on time.
- The responsibilities of this role may allow for telework following Northern’s policy.
- This role is not eligible for the company cell phone plan.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental, or related Engineering field.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification or ability to obtain within one year.
- Extraordinary experience may be considered in lieu of degree or certification.
- Minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in civil engineering.
- Competent in Civil 3D and Microsoft Office.
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
Who You Are:
- Not satisfied with the status quo and are always looking for ways to improve yourself, your team, and the company. Communicate improvements with your team and leaders.
- Takes responsibility for your own experience and actions and recognizes how your actions impact others.
- Creates and cultivates authentic internal and external relationships and recognizes the importance of maintaining those connections.
- Appreciates diversity and serve as a champion in creating an inclusive culture.
- Required to stand, walk, and sit.
- The position may require a visit to project sites often.
- The position requires a regular and normal range of hearing.
- The employee must be able to lift 40 lbs. occasionally.
- Requires prolonged sitting with 15% of the time spent bending and reaching.
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and calculator.
- Noise levels consistent with a standard office environment.